Wednesday, September 3, 2008

The Rally for the Republic

On Tuesday I ventured away from my quiet, isolated, rural Iowa acreage, took the big road north, and waded into the teaming masses in the heart of downtown Minneapolis. It took all of five minutes to remember how much I despise the metropolitan environs. Why would any human being submit them selves to the torture of live in such a place? Noise, constant, irritating, ceaseless noise. Cars rumbling, people talking, sirens wailing, I had forgotten the noise. And the huge amount of lights, flashing signs, scrolling billboards, street lights, stop lights, rows and rows of office windows, with lights, large public buildings with lights attempting to show off their architecture paid for with stolen tax payer dollars. Lights everywhere. And the people, so many people, I saw more people last night in 4 hours than I see in my community in several years. People of every size, shape and color. People who look sad, people who look angry, people trying to attract other people, people trying to sell ideas, and some people actively trying to repel others by their actions and appearance.

So why did the farm boy go to the big city? To hear a speech. Last night, I had the privilege of hearing, Ron Paul speak at the Rally for the Republic. Last night I risked life and limb to refresh my love for the Constitution, to hear a man who loves life and liberty remind those assembled that we were given a great system of government, to quote Benjamin Franklin, “Well, Doctor, what have we got—a Republic or a Monarchy?”

“A Republic, if you can keep it.”

And last night was all about our desire to keep this nation a republic. To stop the unending growth of the federal leviathan. The massive social welfare state that we have become is the antithesis of a republic. I went to hear a man of integrity extol the superiority of a republic. And in reality it was mostly just refreshing to spend a little time with people of like mind. With people who do not want to get a hand out from the government but would rather slap the hand of government, and tell them to "get your stinking hands off of my life and property".

I saw several people I knew, people who believe in personal liberty and responsibility. There were numerous vendors pushing their ideas, financial products related to real currency and lots of organizations handing out samples of literature, political fliers and campaign information. I met a couple of brothers, libertarians, who run their own business, and want the government to leave them alone. They were circulating a petition to get Bob Barr on the ballot in Minnesota.

Ron Paul's speech was good. But, in the end, I was far more encouraged by the large number of people who came to defend the republic, to promote life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. The crowd of young and not so young Americans who believe that less government and more personal responsibility are the key to keeping the republic.

I hated my time in the city, but, it was worth it, because I came home with a renewed desire to defend the republic, and to keep telling my fellow citizens that our God givens rights to life and liberty are still loved and valued by numerous Americans, and that there are some of us who will continue to push our fellow citizens to return to the vision of our founders, and the republic which they gave us.