Thursday, September 13, 2007

Harvest Has Begun

We have started chopping ear corn silage. I have no time to blog, hardly time to see my family.

A couple of quick pictures to show the change of seasons.

I do not have a picture of the huge spiders that always appear this time of year in the silo house, the building at the bottom of the silos, where the silo unloaders drop the feed. Each fall they string large webs across every space in the building, so that when I go in there in the morning, I carry a broom, otherwise, I come out looking like some creature from a horror movie, all wrapped up in cobwebs.

The first picture is of the corn as it reaches maturity. Notice how the plant dries up from both the top and bottom. All of the energy in the plant is moving to the grain.




The second show the different maturity rates on a couple of varieties of soybeans planted on the same day in May. Since this picture was taken, the beans on the left have nearly lost all their leaves, and will probably be combined by the end of next week.



The last one was taken this afternoon as I checked to see how full the silo was getting. I hate heights, so I was hanging on for dear life. The lovely Mrs. farmer took the picture.



I've got to run, we load cattle at 5:00 in the morning. Did that today as well, and didn't get home until 8:00pm. Long days.