Sunday, January 14, 2007

The Triune God

The Triune God

Ok, I promised to blow this foolish denial of the trinity out of the water once and for all.

As a believer in Sola Scriptura, no quotes from any other author, simply the words of Scripture.
I will not attempt to make the case in the Old Testament, it's there but I don't feel like typing that much. We will start at the announcement of the coming Birth of Jesus Christ, and go
from that point in God's revelation to mankind. All mentions in quotes are added by me for clarity of thought. I'm sorry this did not transfer well from OO 2.0

Matt.1:20-23, Lk. 1:35, The Holy Spirit (God the Spirit)shall come upon theeand the power of the Highest (God the Father)shall overshadow thee: therefore that holy one which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God (God the Son).

At the Lord's baptism, in the Jordan river, Matt. 3:16-17
16And Jesus,(God the Son) when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God (God the Spirit) descending like a dove, and lighting upon him: 17And lo a voice from heaven(God the Father), saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.

Matt 4: 1Then was Jesus(God the Son) led up of the Spirit (God the Spirit) into the wilderness to be tempted of the devil. 2And when he had fasted forty days and forty nights, he was afterward an hungred. 3And when the tempter came to him, he said, If thou be the Son of God, command that these stones be made bread. 4But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God(God the Father).


To those unfamiliar with scripture, You must know this passage, Exodus 3:13And Moses said unto God, Behold, when I come unto the children of Israel, and shall say unto them, The God of your fathers hath sent me unto you; and they shall say to me, What is his name? what shall I say unto them? 14And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you.


Jesus speaking about himself, claimed God's name for himself, John 4:26 Jesus saith unto her, I that speak unto thee am he. (I AM He)
John 8:24 I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am he(I AM He), ye shall die in your sins.
John 8:28 Then said Jesus unto them, When ye have lifted up the Son of man, then shall ye know that I am he(I AM He), and that I do nothing of myself; but as my Father hath taught me, I speak these things.
John 8:58 Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.(I
AM)
Jesus claimed equality with the Father. John 5:23 That all men should honour the Son, even as they honour the Father. He that honoureth not the Son honoureth not the Father which hath sent him.

John 10:30 I and my Father are one.
If you think that this verse is not significant, see what the Jews reaction to hearing this statement was.
31Then the Jews took up stones again to stone him. 32Jesus answered them, Many good works have I shewed you from my Father; for which of those works do ye stone me? 33The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God. 34Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods? 35If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken; 36Say ye of him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of God? 37If I do not the works of my Father, believe me not. 38But if I do, though ye believe not me, believe the works: that ye may know, and believe, that the Father is in me, and I in him. 39Therefore they sought again to take him: but he escaped out of their hand,
vs. 31 they wante to stone him, vs. 33 they called him a blasphemer for “making himself God” vs. 36 Jesus even acknowleges calling himself the Son of God vs. 38 “ the Father is in me and I in him vs.39 they again tried to capture him They believed that He claimed to be God!!!

John 14:23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we (The Father and the Son) will come unto him, and make our abode with him. more comment on this one later.


What did Jesus say about the Holy Spirit? I'm glad you asked.
John 15:26 But when the Comforter (Holy Spirit) is come, whom I ( God the Son)will send unto you from the Father(God the Father), even the Spirit (Holy Spirit) of truth, which proceedeth from the Father (God the Father), he shall testify of me(God the Son):
John 14:16 And I (God the Son) will pray the Father(God the Father), and he shall give you another Comforter(God the Spirit), that he may abide with you for ever;
John 14:17-20 Even the Spirit of truth (God the Spirit); whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he (God the Spirit) dwelleth with you, and shall be in you. 18 I (God the Son) will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you. 19 Yet a little while, and the world seeth me no more; but ye see me: because I live, ye shall live also. 20 At that day ye shall know that I (God the Son)am in my Father(God the Father ), and ye in me, and I in you.
vs.26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Spirit, whom the Father (God the Father) will send in my (God the Son)name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I (God the Son) have said unto you.


And when our Lord gave his final commission to his disciples, he said,
Matt.28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
I have just mentioned some of the passages in the Gospels, anybody want to claim that Scripture does not teach a Triune God??

I will gladly post numerous passages from the rest of the New Testament later.